Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Crate!



I know it is hard to imagine why it is so important I be in a farrowing crate.   I know you think I don't have room or I'm held down, my crate is actually very comfortable and safe for me, my littles, Mr. Allen & Miss Mikayla.

Here are a few things you need to know about the farrowing crate. 


* A farrowing crate is a penning system which has an area for the sow and areas for the piglets.

* Farrowing crates are designed to reduce the number of piglets which are accidentally laid upon or stepped upon on by the sow.

* Farrowing crates provide a cooler area for the sow and warmer areas for the young piglets. 

* The flooring is designed to keep the piglets dry which reduces the spread of diseases.

* The farrowing crate will also allow Mikayla & Mr. Allen to assist in the birth process of my piglets.


 
Throw Back Thursday ... This is a picture of me and my babies last year.    
 
This is a look at my farrowing crate ...

 
I was moved from my pen to this crate this week, just in time for the delivery of my piglets.  This is done so when I go into labor I will be more comfortable and the babies will be able to get out from under me when I want to lay down. 
 
This may seem cruel to you but it is really what is best for me and the babies.  So don't be surprised when you come to visit if I'm in the farrowing crate.  I will spend several weeks in there until my babies are weaned. 
 




Statistics
-50% of crushing incidents occur during the first 3 days of the  piglets' lives
-Without farrowing crates, the risk of mortality during these 3 days is 10-25%
-In the United Kingdom, research concluded a 95% survival rate in piglets raised in farrowing crates
-85% of sows in the US are housed in a farrowing crate during the farrowing process
(http://animalethicsri.weebly.com/farrowing-crates.html)

Well enough about that ... I think you all get it the crate is the best place for me and the piglets.
You can visit me M-F from 0700-0730a  and  M-Th from 315-400p -  You will need to check in with Mr. Allen in Room 327 before entering the shop.  Oh, and there are some shop rules while you are visiting so make sure you follow those so you will be allowed to visit me again.


<3 Pinky Jane
 

No comments:

Post a Comment