Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Babies Are Coming....

Before My Babies Arrive....

I was thinking last night I should take a minute to tell you, with any pregnancy things can go wrong. 

This is my second litter of piglets and Mr. Allen & Mikayla will be here with me to help me every step of the way as they did last year. They are the best and they always have my best interests in mind.... So I don't want you to worry they will do their best to make sure everything goes well.  They will be watching me every 30-60 minutes.  They have prepared by familiarizing themselves with the normal birthing process.  They have ensured I have a clean and dry place to have my babies.

I will tell you this ... technology is on my side and difficulties with farrowing are less common.  Most sows need help in less than 1% of all farrowings.  

They have been watching for all the signs I am about ready to farrow.

Approximate time before deliverySow characteristics/ behavior
0-10 daysMammary glands enlarge and become firm
0-10 daysSwelling of the vulval lips
2 daysMammary glands become turgid and tense and secrete a clear fluid
12-24 hoursMammary glands begin to secrete milk
12-24 hoursOverall restlessness, nesting behavior
6 hoursAbundant milk secretion
30 minutes-4 hours Increased respiration
15-60 minutesSow quiets and lies down on her side
30-90 minutesStraining, passage of blood tinged, oily fluid and meconium ( fetal feces)


During the normal farrowing process I will exhibit mild straining and my first piglet will be born.  Most of my piglets will come head first and some will come tail first.


My piglets will be born approximately 15 minutes apart.  The total time for the delivery of my litter may vary but this process usually takes 2.5 hours or less.  The placenta is usually delivered 2-4 hours after my last piglet is delivered, I may deliver portions of the placenta during my farrowing period.

Things that would be a cause for alarm during this time include:
  • Observe large volumes of discharge
  • Gestation exceeding 116 days
  • Blood tinged fluid or meconium are discharged without signs of straining
  • Straining without delivery of pigs
  • The time between the birth of pigs exceeds one hour, and the sow still has a full abdomen
  • Foul smelling, brown /gray discharge
  • Reddening of the sow's eyes
  • Exhaustion after prolonged labor
  • Sow distress: rapid breathing, weakness, inability to rise


  • Types of problems that will need intervention.

    Type of problemMethod of assistance
    Uterine inertia (the uterus is unable to contract)Manual intervention: be certain that the sow is dilated and nothing is blocking the birth canal
    Deliver any pigs within reach- grasp the pig by the snout or use a snare
    Administer oxytocin
    Get the sow up
    Cool the sow with a mister or fan
    Call veterinarian if farrowing does not occur
    Improper presentation of pig 
    • Breech

    Manual intervention: Hook your index finger under the hock of each hind leg. Extend the legs caudally or use a snare.
    • Two pigs simultaneously
    Manual intervention: Grasp head, lower jaw, or feet to deliver one pig at a time
    • Pig upside down

    Manual intervention: Grasp head, lower jaw, or feet
    Canal obstruction 
    • Hymen constriction in gilt (first pig not delivered)

    Manual dilation or severing with scissors
    • Vaginal or cervical prolapse

    Call veterinarian
    • Pelvis too small

    Call veterinarian
    • Constipation

    Manually remove fecesGive enema of warm, soapy water
    • Full bladder
    Get sow to stand up and force exercise
    Give oxytocin
    Rarely the veterinarian will have to catheterize bladder
    Deviation of the uterus 
    • Partial uterine torsion
     
    Call veterinarian
    • S-shaped deviation

    Manual intervention
    Pig is too largeCall veterinarian
    Sow hysteriaGive tranquilizer as prescribed by veterinarian
    Give oxytocin
    Remove pigs until sow is quiet and finished farrowing
    Retained placenta/ blood or pus dischargeRare- usually indicates that one or more pigs is present in the reproductive tract-Call veterinarian
    Vaginal, uterine or bladder prolapseCall veterinarian
    HemorrhageCall veterinarian


    I found a lot of my information from Purdue  ... They have some amazing references.

    I know this is a lot to take in and I don't want you to be concerned.  Mr. Allen & Mikayla have this all  under control and they have arranged for a veterinarian to be on call should a problem arise.

    It is time for us all to take a deep breath because in the next 24-48 hours I will be super busy caring for my second litter of piglets.

    <3 Pinky Jane

    No comments:

    Post a Comment