Sunday, February 22, 2015

3 Stages of Farrowing....

I love that everyone is being so supportive and concerned, so I asked my team to take a minute and explain the 3 stages of Farrowing.

I want everyone to know I'm doing really well and like any mom it is just taking me a bit of time.    Stage 1 - The pre-farrowing period.  This could go on for 10-14 days ... and it seems like we are closer to 14 days now.  I don't know I have lost track of time.

In this phase my mammary glands will develop and my vulva will swell, good news is I have both of those. Other signs of farrowing include reduced appetite and restlessness, standing up and lying down and changing sides.  As you all know I have really started all of these... thank you for watching.

I may start with milk discharge and will show mucous discharge from my vulva.

The final part of stage 1 is the opening of the cervix to allow my little ones to enter the world. 
My vet is not concerned at this point.  Pigs usually deliver on days 114-116, however we can go short or long days 111-120.  I'm right on track at this point!

Stage 2 - The Farrowing Process.  This is the exciting part not only for you but for me too!
This will range from 3-8hours... Last year it lasted about 10 hours, but that was my first delivery, so hang in there with me, we are getting close now.

Just before I start delivering I will lay on my side, I might start to shiver and lift my upper back leg.  When my tail starts to twitch a piglet is about to be born.



Stage 3 - Delivery of the Placenta.  This could take 1-4 hours ... I'm not sure if you want to stick around for that.   

I'm so excited to be sharing this process with all of my friends.
<3 Pinky Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment